April 05, 2005

Maxthon, The Next Mozilla?

As many geeks know when it comes to web browsers there are at least half a dozen or so good options.
Windows users usually go with either Internet Explorer (IE) or Mozilla Firefox, and I was no different, until a friend urged me to check out Maxthon for my surfing needs, and I must say I am impressed.

The first thing that struck me about Maxthon was how similar it looked to IE, however that's where the similarities ended.
One of the first features I look for in a web browser is tabbed browsing, which is something that first converted me Firefox two years ago, and of course Maxthon has this feature but uses it in a much better way than Mozilla by having the tabs reside in the browser window and not in the taskbar. Also like Firefox, Maxthon has a built-in pop-up blocker called Ad Hunter, which also blocks those irritating pop-under ads.
I love RSS, and Maxthon has a built-in RSS Reader, which makes reading your RSS Feeds easy, without having to launch a third party application. Adding feeds to your RSS Reader is done through dragging and dropping the information into the RSS reader.
Mouse Gestures is a something I have never really used before Maxthon, but after using it for a while you begin to appreciate the time it can save. Once enabled Mouse Gestures allow you to perform a variety of functions by holding the right button on your mouse and moving your cursor in a certain direction. For instance an up or down motion will refresh the page, move it the left and you can go back to a previous page and moving it in an "L" shape will close the window tab your have open.
There are of course many more features that I love about Maxthon like page zooming, simple collector, web services, password protecting tabs, URL aliases, more than 400 plug-ins, 300 + skins and an external utility bar which allows you to start third party programs with one click of a mouse from within your browser.
Maxthon also uses very little in the way of system resources, in fact the benchmark tests I ran showed Maxthon used about 60% less RAM than IE, that in itself to me is a good enough reason to give it a try.
For more information about Maxthon visit www.maxthon.com, or you can download Maxthon here.
Give it a try, and let me know what you think about Maxthon by posting in the comments section.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home